Remember when people used to say “give me a tinkle” when they meant “call me on the phone”? Well, we’re asking you to
drop a dime
Love this phone? Click to see where you can get it.
and call the Historical Society to reserve your spot on this fall’s exciting events. Call us at 941-364-9076 Tues.-Fri. between 10am and 2pm. Mastercard & VISA accepted!
- There’s over a dozen Classes in the Park you can take, some of which are starting early October (click for the schedule)
- and the traditional LeBarge Sarasota Bay History Cruise on Sunday November 3 (click to see past cruises)
- and our special adults-only Pirates evening event on Friday November 15 (details forthcoming, but it involves rum punch, pirate nibbles, song and true pirate lore)
- and the first Historic Downtown Trolley Tour on Saturday November 16 (click for info), the same day as Pirates & Pioneers Day
- and the deadline is fast approaching for getting an historic brick dedicated for our Annual Unveiling which will be part of Pirates & Pioneers Day on Saturday November 16 (Buy a brick info and Pirates & Pioneer Day info)
- High Tea with Art off the Easels will be Sunday January 12 (more info soon. It’s hard to think about watercress sandwiches when there are brigands and privateers wandering through our Pioneer Park campus.)
- there’s just a few places left on the Ca’d’Zan Backstairs tour, Tuesday January 21, hosted by esteemed Keeper of the House Ron McCarty, who is also a Board Member here at the Historical Society. (See the details of this, and all our upcoming events, here.)
Call us at 941-364-9076 Tues.-Fri. between 10am and 2pm, and our Site Manager Linda Garcia will
get your dance card filled up.
It’s been a long time since phones tinkled instead of vibrated (and who in living memory had a dance card tied to her wrist?), but nonetheless, we’d love to hear from you before all the seats are taken!
(If you want that phone, it’s for sale here.)
The 2013-2014 season of events at the Historical Society looks like it’s going to be great! We’re having everything from women’s history to pirates (the real-life history for adults PLUS the fun, PG-rated version!) to yoga classes. And our annual favorites, the Narrated Historic Sarasota Bay Le Barge Cruise and the private tour of Ca’d’Zan.
Here’s the Calendar of Events. Print it out and stick it on the fridge so you don’t miss a thing.
Sarasota’s first seasonal residents were Cuban fishermen, who set up “fish rancheros” on the coast to catch and preserve the fish that teemed in the bays here. And it was a mark of distinction to 19th century Sarasotans to import their fine furnishings from the elegant shops of New Orleans.
So a French Quarter Cuban sandwich on Saturday, at Continue reading →
The Historical Society’s Historic Downtown Trolley Tours are very popular, so be sure to make your reservations quickly! This year’s dates are on our Calendar of Events, which is here.
Have you ever wondered what Sarasota was like before now?
Where people gathered, how they lived, where everyone came from and what they thought and what was here when and what they did…
and why we are so different from the average Florida town?
Well, hop onto our Historic Downtown Sarasota Trolley Tour, AKA the Time Machine, and let our favorite tale-spinner tell you!
These tours are a must for native, resident, winter resident or visitor. A wonderful activity for house guests and business travelers, and part of their education for anyone who makes their living in Sarasota. If you haven’t been privileged enough to participate, do it now!
HISTORIC TROLLEY TOURS: Two hour Historic Trolley Tours. 10:00 AM – Noon. Depart from the Crocker Memorial Church at Historical Society of Sarasota County in Pioneer Park, 1260 12th Street (just east off Tamiami Trail). Parking is free. Seating on the Trolley is limited, so grab your spot now. Advance reservations REQUIRED: email email@example.com