Harold Bubil, Real Estate and Architecture Editor at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and a frequent lecturer on the subject of architecture, leads a panel discussion on the Three Kings of Sarasota Architecture on Tuesday, March 13 at 7 p.m. at the Crocker Memorial Church at 1260 12th Street (in Pioneer Park), Sarasota. This special program is free and open to the public.
The three architects, .
Thomas Reed Martin, Dwight Baum and Paul Rudolph, will be presented in their historical context. Assessing the far-reaching influence of these architects on the culture and landscape of this part of Florida will be panel members Joe King, author of the book Paul Rudolph: The Florida Houses, and architect Thorning Little, best known for his sensitive and detail-oriented interpretation of the Mediterranean revival aesthetic as it is applied to grand homes in the Sarasota area.
Thomas Reed Martin ( 1865-1949) came to the Nokomis area from Chicago to work for Bertha Palmer in 1910. Martin worked on her winter house, The Oaks (no longer standing) at Spanish Point in Osprey. At the time, Bertha Palmer was the largest landowner in the Sarasota area, and her home was the first grand seasonal home to be built here. Martin went on to build some 500 homes in the area and one of his best-known projects is Burns Court, a collection of Spanish bungalows done for developer Owen Burns. Read more on this king of Sarasota architecture.
Dwight Baum (1886-1939) came to Florida in 1922 and two years later received the most important residential commission of his career from John and Mabel Ringling. It was to build their home Ca’ D’Zan. Baum also designed the Sarasota County Courthouse, the Sarasota Times Building and the First Presbyterian Church. He was credited with developing a new Mediterranean Revival style through his work here. Read more.
Paul Rudolph (1918-1997) formed an association with Ralph Twitchell in Sarasota and together they designed the Miller House and Guest House, the innovative Revere Quality House, and the Cocoon House. After this partnership was dissolved, Rudolph formed his own office in Sarasota, designing the Umbrella House, the Cohen House, Riverview High School, and the Sarasota High School Addition. He is identified as the seminal architect in the Sarasota school of architecture. A sampling of Rudolph’s work can be seen here.
Docent-led tours of the historic Bidwell-Wood House (1884) and the Crocker Memorial Church building (1901) are available before the start of the 7 p.m. program. For more information call 364-9076.