Grant to Historical Society from William G. and Marie Selby Foundation means a replacement roof for the historic Bidwell-Wood House (1882)
The historic Bidwell-Wood House built in 1882 by Alfred and Mary Bidwell and now located at Pioneer Park in Sarasota is getting a replacement shingle roof thanks to a $15,000 grant from the William G. and Marie Selby Foundation to the Historical Society of Sarasota County (HSOSC). Work begins this summer.
The two-story wood frame vernacular house with its detached kitchen, deep front and back porches and heart pine floors is the oldest private residence in the city of Sarasota. The house has been under the care of the Historical Society of Sarasota County (HSOSC) since the structure was moved for the third and last time in 2006 to Pioneer Park at 1260 12th street. The home originally stood at what is now the corner of US 41 and Wood Street.
“This has definitely been the year of the roof,” said HSOSC treasurer Deborah Bowers, who was at the Bidwell-Wood House along with board member Jeff LaHurd to receive the Selby Foundation check from its president, Sarah Pappas. “Through the Historical Society’s annual appeal which was a dedicated roof campaign and from other donations, we were able to raise $11,500. Now with the Selby Foundation grant, we have the funding for the replacement roof project. Our thanks to HSOSC members and community friends of history who generously donated to the roof campaign and, of course, to the William G and Marie Selby Foundation which makes the roof replacement a reality.”