Arts and Cultural Alliance Awards a Grant to the Historical Society of Sarasota County
Timely grant of $4,000 from the John Ringling Towers Fund goes directly to preservation efforts at Crocker Memorial Church
Crocker Memorial Church dates from 1901 and was originally at what is now Tamiami Trail and Bee Ridge Road.
A timely award of a $4,000 grant from the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County to the Historical Society of Sarasota County has gone immediately to a project to stabilize and preserve the metal roof on the 1901 Crocker Memorial Church building at Pioneer Park in Sarasota. The heritage building, which is under the protection of the Historical Society, is the headquarters for the Historical Society and is used almost daily by the community for weddings, civic and cultural club meetings, music recitals, theater rehearsals, history book club, and for monthly membership meetings of the Historical Society as well as for Historical Society sponsored educational programs (including docent-led tours) that are open to the public.
“The Crocker Memorial Church building is our town’s model of a historical building that has eluded the wrecking ball through adaptive use,” said Site Manager, Linda Garcia. “Ever since it was built by Peter Crocker and his neighbors in 1901 at what is now the corner of Bee Ridge Road and US 41, it has been in constant use, first as a place of worship for several different congregations and since 2006 as a community gathering place. The building has been moved three times over the decades but now has a permanent home at Pioneer Park on 12th Street where the Historical Society is charged with protecting and preserving it.”
The grant money from the John Ringling Towers Fund at the Arts and Cultural Alliance has been combined with member and community donations from the Historical Society’s annual appeal to make critical repairs to the Crocker roof. We thank the Alliance and our members and supporters for helping us keep a Sarasota landmark dry and safe!