Coming up in 2022, there will be this wonderful “Forever stamp” to stock up on. If it weren’t for Dr. Eugenie Clark, what would our oceans and the Gulf of Mexico be like? Known as “The Shark Lady”… she transformed a dream into a multi-faceted research center, Mote Marine. Clark was a pioneer in the field of scuba diving for research purposes.
Can you say “ichthyologist”? That is what Eugenie Clark was!
Links to learn more about Dr. Clark’s life work as summed up by the best scientific sites:
- From Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium.
- And the Smithsonian blog.
- And NOAA, the National Ocean Service, wrote on her contributions.
- And National Geographic (you may encounter a paywall.)
- And of course, the Wikipedia entry.